[Spacewalk-list] Enrolling/managing CentOS 4 Hosts in 2013 on Spacewalk

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 15:55:51 UTC 2013

mrtools still works well
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mrtools/

mrexec can execute any Perl, python, ruby or shell script on up to 400
hosts asynchronously at 100 concurrent threads at a time without altering
any ulimits from the defaults on EL4.
the latest version of mrexec.pl in the SVN repo is the best version.

mrsync can rsync files or directories to up to 400 host and is optimal at
approximately 8 concurrent threads at a time.

The only agents needed on the target host are ssh and rsync and ssh keys
deployed to all of your hosts.

also script in mrexec dose have size limitations due to the fact that it
rewrite the script so it can remotely execute it via the a direct call to
the interpreter in the remote system so the limitation is the shell
limitation for the length of a single command.

I originally wrote these tools to facilitate a very complex update
procedure of a 20GB application to a  400 nodes cluster. In that
environment I was not allowed to use NFS or any other NAS and or SAN for
this so I had to be creative.

all of the nodes were RHEL 4 and all of the scripts were designed to be
wrapped in shell scripts and or other automation schedulers, so they should
serve you well.