[Spacewalk-list] How to stop 'WEB TRACEBACK' mails

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Tue Jun 11 12:01:27 UTC 2013

Snyder, Chris wrote:
% We just ran a security audit (via Nessus) on our network and when it hit our Spacewalk Server, the SW server sent out A LOT of mails with the subject of 'WEB TRACEBACK....' describing errors that resulted from our security audit.
%
% Now, I don't care about the errors being reported - those don't matter to me - what I am wondering about is how do I stop the mail from being generated by Spacewalk?  We're going to be running our security audits on a much more frequent basis from now on and I don't  want this junk being sent every time we scan our network.  Is there a configuration option to disable the mailing of such errors?
%
% I've attached an example of the mails I'm talking about.

There's "quiet_mail = <number>" option you can put into /etc/rhn/rhn.conf
which will suppress some (not all) traceback emails from python backend
(XMLRPC API routines). Lower number means less emails (default is 15).

Unfortunatelly it seems this option doesn't work for traceback mails
from java you are getting.

So I can think of two other solutions:
a) remove traceback_email address from /etc/rhn/rhn.conf completely and
you won't get email from spacewalk anymore (applies even on "kind" emails with
e.g. certificate expiration warnings),
or b) set traceback_email e.g. to root at localhost and setup .procmailrc
which will drop traceback emails and forward the rest.

% Thx
% Chris.

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat