[Spacewalk-list] Re-registering clients causing problem with client-type identification

Michal Bruncko michal.bruncko at zssos.sk
Sun Mar 31 18:37:37 UTC 2013

Hello list,

I am in following situation:
- I've successfully installed and using spacewalk 1.9 with ~20 clients
for some time
- I've decided to rename one of spacewalk client (paravirtualized guest
on XenServer) following way:
  -- delete system entry from Spacewalk server (using classic system
deletion)
  -- rename hostname (editing /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/hosts file)
followed with restart
  -- and try to re-register with spacewalk using "--foce" parameter to
rhnreg_ks

But now, I see the client as the classic (non para-virtualized) system
(rhn-icon-system.gif). So I have decided to do the following:
- remove all sapcewalk client packages from client
- remove /etc/sysconfig/rhn and /usr/share/rhn directories
- remove system entry again from Spacewalk server
- reboot client and completely reinstall spacewalk client packages on client
- register client without use of "--force" parameter

but the situation remains same.

Questions:
- why the client system is threaded as normal system from Spacewalk
server point of view? when I registered client client system at first
time, it was identified correctly as "paravirtualized" host
- is there any chance to fix this?

Additional info:
- I am using spacewalk 1.9 on server and on client as well
- Used CentOS 6.4 (x86_64) as operating system on both server and client
- Client is virtual machine hosted on XenServer 6.1

thanks for any help

--
Ing. Michal Bruncko, PhD., CCNP
IT systems and network administrator