[Spacewalk-list] Patch management using spacewalk

Josh Preston JoshPreston at dswinc.com
Fri May 17 17:25:31 UTC 2013

You can accomplish all of those things with spacewalk.  To best perform it, you'll probably want to utilize a channel clone process to lock in patches at a particular level vs always updating to the latest.  It will help keep new patches from being included when performing DEV -> QA -> PRD patching cycles.

When we patch, our groups contain a mix of architectures and versions (RHEL4/5/6,CentOS5/6) and they patch successfully.  When you are creating the task, you have to select the appropriate channels for each differing system in the group, but it can be scheduled immediately from one screen.

You can push immediately with spacewalk using OSAD, which is basically a jabber client for rhn_check :-)  Your other route is as you suspected, write a script that executes rhn_check.  I've had great success using OSAD, and I appreciate not having to wait up to 4 hours for my systems to check in.

I also recommend use of spacecmd as getting the list of packages and errata are quite simple vs the web interface.

Thanks!