[Spacewalk-list] Need help with implementation

Choure, Siddharth schoure at 1worldsync.com
Thu May 23 15:32:30 UTC 2013

So I am doing a Spacewalk installation for our organization.

Here is my setup -
1. Dedicated Spacewalk server.
2. mrepo pulls all packages from RH base channel and dumps it into
rhel-x86_64-server-6 channel.
3. I have created a custom channel for our machines matching the release
and update we are using. eg. for RHEL6.4, I created rhel6u4 channel using
the following command -

spacewalk-create-channel --user=me --server=localhost --version=6
--update=u4 --release=Server --arch=x86_64 --destChannel=rhel6u4

and all my test machines are subscribed to this channel.

This channel has packages that would exist like if I had a 6.4 iso.

Now my question is, rhel-x86_64-server-6 channel gets updated nightly by
mrepo via a cronjob. Suppose RH releases a newer version of kernel that we
think we need for our machines or any other package for that matter, how do
I transfer that package from mrepo updated channel to our release channel?
I know I can do rhn_push but that will involve a lot of work. Is there an
easier way to do it?

I am also open to suggestions on how to tweak what I am trying to do which
is basically, have a frozen channel to which all new machines will be
subscribed to as per their release and update and then update the packages
in those channels as per our organizations need.

Thanks,

Siddharth Choure