[Spacewalk-list] Large Spacewalk Deployments?

George listmail.gg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 21:30:17 UTC 2013

 From experience with only a couple of 100 hosts and 'old' versions of
spacewalk (say 0.8 or 0.9) the spacewalk server gets hammered if you do
for example and upgrade of 1 (or more) packages on a group of several
100 hosts at once ... (using osad so a "now" schedule) due to the fact
it needs to receive the reporting that if the task failed or succeeded.
My webinterface was unreachable for like 30 minutes and load on the box
was 70 or so ...
Note that at the time I was running it on dual core machine with 4G mem
and oracle XE on the machine itself, so yes performance was not optimal.

Now I have a setup with 8 spacewalk proxies in several global regions
and around a 100 machines connected, but not really tried any major
deployments like I mentioned above (soon to be adding up to around 1000
hosts).

I heard that for example puppet has some kind of backoff algorithm for
this: if you get more requests than a certain max limit they will send
the other requesters walking for a random time (also believe they have
some kind of priority system, where a pushed update task gets priority
over a random checkin from a server because the timer expired)

Planning to combine spacewalk with puppet for certain tasks like this ...

Regards,

G.