[Spacewalk-list] Large Spacewalk Deployments?

Kobus Bensch kobus.bensch at trustpayglobal.com
Fri Nov 15 07:44:03 UTC 2013

Hi

In my experience, I would definitely second the use of proxies.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 14 Nov 2013, at 21:51, "Paul Robert Marino" <prmarino1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well one thing that can also  significantly help as well is liberal use of spacewalk proxies.
>

> -- Sent from my HP Pre3
>
> On Nov 14, 2013 16:33, George <listmail.gg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> From experience with only a couple of 100 hosts and 'old' versions of
> spacewalk (say 0.8 or 0.9) the spacewalk server gets hammered if you do
> for example and upgrade of 1 (or more) packages on a group of several
> 100 hosts at once ... (using osad so a "now" schedule) due to the fact
> it needs to receive the reporting that if the task failed or succeeded.
> My webinterface was unreachable for like 30 minutes and load on the box
> was 70 or so ...
> Note that at the time I was running it on dual core machine with 4G mem
> and oracle XE on the machine itself, so yes performance was not optimal.
>
> Now I have a setup with 8 spacewalk proxies in several global regions
> and around a 100 machines connected, but not really tried any major
> deployments like I mentioned above (soon to be adding up to around 1000
> hosts).
>
> I heard that for example puppet has some kind of backoff algorithm for
> this: if you get more requests than a certain max limit they will send
> the other requesters walking for a random time (also believe they have
> some kind of priority system, where a pushed update task gets priority
> over a random checkin from a server because the timer expired)
>
> Planning to combine spacewalk with puppet for certain tasks like this ...
>
> Regards,
>
> G.
>
> On 11/14/2013 07:30 PM, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
> > I'm fairly certain there are quite a few implementations of the
> > supported version RHN satellite on that scale, but there is a limit.
> > If I Remember correctly your numbers are well within the limit. There
> > are a few things you will have to keep in mind mainly the database
> > performance. I would suggest a minimum of a dual 16 core Opteron box and
> > possibly using an external database cluster with lots of small fast disks.
> >

> > -- Sent from my HP Pre3

> > On Nov 14, 2013 11:48, Andy Townsend <Andy_Townsend at symantec.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Does anyone know of or have any experience with using Spacewalk to
> > manage a large number of hosts? I’m looking at potentially using it to
> > push packages to some machines but we’re talking of around 5-10k nodes
> > here. Are there any spacewalk deployments out there managing that number
> > of hosts that anyone knows of or does anyone have any information on the
> > scalability aspects of Spacewalk.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Andy

Trustpay Global Limited is an authorised Electronic Money Institution
regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority registration number 900043.
Company No 07427913 Registered in England and Wales with registered address
130 Wood Street, London, EC2V 6DL, United Kingdom.

For further details please visit our website at www.trustpayglobal.com.

The information in this email and any attachments are confidential and
remain the property of Trustpay Global Ltd unless agreed by contract. It is
intended solely for the person to whom or the entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you may not use, disclose,
copy, distribute, print or rely on the content of this email or its
attachments. If this email has been received by you in error please advise
the sender and delete the email from your system. Trustpay Global Ltd does
not accept any liability for any personal view expressed in this message.