[Spacewalk-list] Channels management and client registration

Christian Tardif christian.tardif at servinfo.ca
Sat Nov 30 07:00:34 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have an issue I can't find a solution. I have a CentOS 6 channel
(including subchannels) as a base channel, plus EPEL 6.8, also as a base
channel.

I need the clients to be able to update against these two base channels.
But it looks like I can't register a client to more than one base
channel. The simplest idea would be to drop the EPEL base channel, and
recreate this EPEL channel as a child channel.  But I also have a CentOS
6.2 base channel, which also need to have EPEL as well....

EPEL is a more or less 10,000 package channel. I don't want to have it
copied and copied again in every base channel I need it. This makes no
sense. So my questions are:

1) Is there any way to register to more than 1 base channel ?
2) Is there a way to refer a base channel as a child channel of another
base channel?  This way, it would be possible to have the channel
configured once, but referred many times, as some sort of channel alias,
if I can say.

Christian...