[Spacewalk-list] Guide for Channel Management on Multi-Org Setup

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Thu Oct 10 11:56:25 UTC 2013

Lupin Deterd wrote:
% Hi,
%
% I created two org under the default spacewalk org, now do I need to create
% a sperate software channel for each org?
%
% i,e.
%  org-1
%    -> centos6
%       ->centos6-updates
%    ->centos5
%        ->centos5-updates
% org-2
%   -> centos6
%       ->centos6-updates
%    ->centos5
%        ->centos5-updates

Hi Lupin,

You can achieve this via Channel sharing.

On the bottom of Channel > Manage Software Channel > _your_channel_ page
there's Channel Access Control section where you can setup the channel to
meet your sharing needs.

So, no need for separate software channels, conversely channel name are unique
across whole Spacewalk server thus there can't be two centos6 channels in
different orgs,

% *) Can't be the common channel, i,e centos6 be created on default-org and
% share to org underneath it?

That's the preferred way how to do it.

% *) If I need to create each software channel to each org, does it mean the
% disk space will double as well?

It would because disk storage is organized per org.

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat