[Spacewalk-list] DB connections not dropping httpd hitting MaxClient setting

Jeremy Davis jdavis4102 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 23:44:57 UTC 2013

Hello List,

I have a Spacewalk install running 2.0 with a postgresql 9.1 DB with about
9000 clients connecting to 21 different proxy servers in our environment.
Recently we have started having issues with httpd hitting the MaxClient
setting so we adjusted this to 550 which seems to then be met. When we got
the MaxClient error about 2300 servers were running a yum install of one
package. In the past we haven't deployed to more that 1500 servers but the
limit back then was set to 225 so not sure what could be the cause of this
issue.

In the DB while we get the httpd error I am seeing a lot of stale DB
connections regarding updating rhnserverpackage table and neededcache.
These stale connections then cause the 600 connection limit to be exhausted.

Please let me know if you need any more information on this issue. As I am
not really sure what all is needed to troubleshoot this issue. Thank you
for your time and have a great day!

Regards,
Jeremy