[Spacewalk-list] Is it reasonable to remove every RPM and start with a fresh satellite-sync?

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Fri Apr 11 12:52:09 UTC 2014

Mathew Snyder wrote:
% I attempted to sync our Satellite server today and encountered an error a
% couple times. It ultimately resulted in a failed sync:
%
% Exception Handler Information
% Traceback (most recent call last):
%   File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/rpm/transaction.py", line 154,
% in hdrFromFdno
%     raise rpm.error("error reading package header")
% error: error reading package header
%
% I looked at RHN and found a resolution at
% https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/232023. The resolution calls for
% removing any corrupt RPMs. I'm running the command provided and if I'm
% interpreting this correctly just about every RPM is corrupt.
%
% Does it make sense to just flush out /var/satellite and do a complete,
% fresh sync? Is there a process for doing this cleanly so as to not break
% anything?

Hi Mathew,

you can safely remove /var/satellite/redhat/NULL/* and the content will be resynced
by next satellite-sync. For custom packages in /var/satellite/redhat/[0-9]*
you have to know where did they come from.

Anyway, as a Satellite user, you will get faster and accurate answer from
Red Hat support ;).

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat