[Spacewalk-list] Patch Baseline Process

Nathan Butcher nbutcher at dtst.com.au
Tue Apr 15 01:05:13 UTC 2014

The way I approach channel management is to have a base channel that is constantly updated from RHN with new packages all the time.

From that, we clone a channel and treat it as a point-in-time checkpoint or a snapshot of the packages at that moment in time, and set all our severs to tune-in to that cloned channel.
That way we can keep all our servers on the same patch level, and when patching occurs, we can know for sure that all servers will receive all the same patches.

When we want to update the servers to a new set of patches, we clone the base channel again and create a new snapshot of packages at that point-in-time. Then we tell all server profiles to use that new cloned channel and force upgrades.

At this point, the older cloned channel can be either kept for future reference (e.g. rebuilding a server), or deleted for being obsolete.