[Spacewalk-list] Best practice for Software channel clean up / removing obsolete packages?

Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Tue Apr 15 07:18:49 UTC 2014

Hi,

we use spacewalk for some time and our software channels grew over time.

Now we are on Version 2.1 (nice look and feel btw)

Furthermore there are a lot of old versions of most software showing up
in the different channels in the spacewalk frontend.

I remember something, that I can/should/have to remove the entries for
the unneeded/old packages from the spacewalk manage softwarechannel and
have to run a script like swalk-clean-old-packages.py from an other
spacewalk user.

But for what I see, after doing that, all packages show up again, and
the diskspace is used again after the nightly sync....

So, is there a best practice in cleaning up all that? :)

My be I'v missed a step or there are better solutions yet.

How do you manage obsolete packages?

	Thanks for Hints . Götz
--
Götz Reinicke