[Spacewalk-list] Best practice for Software channel clean up / removing obsolete packages?

Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Tue Apr 15 15:06:33 UTC 2014

Am 15.04.14 15:22, schrieb Dimitri Yioulos:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 09:18:49 +0200, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator wrote
>> Hi,
>>
>> we use spacewalk for some time and our software channels grew over time.
>>
>> Now we are on Version 2.1 (nice look and feel btw)
>>
>> Furthermore there are a lot of old versions of most software showing up
>> in the different channels in the spacewalk frontend.
>>
>> I remember something, that I can/should/have to remove the entries for
>> the unneeded/old packages from the spacewalk manage softwarechannel and
>> have to run a script like swalk-clean-old-packages.py from an other
>> spacewalk user.
>>
>> But for what I see, after doing that, all packages show up again, and
>> the diskspace is used again after the nightly sync....
>>
>> So, is there a best practice in cleaning up all that? :)
>>
>> My be I'v missed a step or there are better solutions yet.
>>
>> How do you manage obsolete packages?

> Someone was kind enough to create a script that does what you're looking for.  I've used
> it, and it works well.  Find it here: http://blog.christian-stankowic.de/?p=5684&lang=en

Thanks Dimitri,

but I used that script some time a go and updated to the 0.2 Version
from the author.

But I just removed files from the filesystem and for me I looks like it
did not change the database or whatever. Over night my spacewalk server
re-synced all old stuff back and all the freed space was used again.

Don't know why, but that happened to me.

	Regards . Götz

--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 82 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Jürgen Walter MdL
Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg

Geschäftsführer: Prof. Thomas Schadt