[Spacewalk-list] Relationship between Spacewalk repo, channel, and metadata

Michael Snyder msnyder at digitalriver.com
Sun Apr 27 17:24:58 UTC 2014

Hello!

This is a question I've tried to research against the code base and existing documentation, but haven't achieved the nirvana of enlightment.

Spacewalk has the abstraction of a repository object, which can then be linked to one or more channels within an organization (by way of "Channels" -> "Manage Software Channels" -> [specific-channel-link] -> "Repositories", select repositories by checkbox to be attached to the channel).

The enlightenment I wish to find is:
+ when performing a channel synchronization, the operation follows the repository abstraction/container to the source (upstream) URL to synchronize packages into Spacewalk.  This is good so far...
+ but when a repository abstraction/container is selected by multiple channels, each channel synchronization appears to follow the repository upstream link and try to sync every time.

What I'd like to know, if it's possible:
+ to modify the spacewalk-repo-sync operation to selectively only follow the upstream package sync the first time.
+ subsequent channel synchronizations that reference a recently-updated repository accept that it was just updated, and only reference the Spacewalk-local repository metadata to update the channel metadata.

Are there any insights to if this is possible, how it is invoked if it is possible, or have a just taken a huge swing-and-a-miss on my part because it already works the way I've described as desirable?

Thanks,
Mike