[Spacewalk-list] External vs. on-board PostgreSQL DB

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 14:14:51 UTC 2014

Most of the development these days is on PostgreSQL, Oracle is still
supported but for the most part considered legacy.
You are actually more likely to run into issues with Oracle than
PostgreSQL just because the Oracle code in spacewalk isn't being as
thoroughly tested. add to that the fact that the Oracle code isn't
being used by the majority of the users any more and it makes it
unlikely that all the bugs are being found in the Oracle code in a
timely manner prior to new version releases.
that said if you intend to use an External PostgreSQL database there
is one bug I can think of and that is rhnsearchd still tries to
connect to 127.0.0.1 as of version 2.1 I'm not sure if this was fixed
in 2.2 or not. the workaround is to create an iptables rule to forward
the port on the loopback to your real database server.