[Spacewalk-list] problems with installation (postgresql)

WADDINGHAM, CORY cw7430 at att.com
Fri Aug 29 22:38:08 UTC 2014

I'm not sure if this is a question for the Spacewalk list, or if I should seek help from PostgreSQL users. But here goes.

I'm trying to install Spacewalk on a CentOS 5.10 system (previously was a RHEL 5.8 system but switched to CentOS just to eliminate that as a possible problem) and keep running into the same problem. Specifically, the database cannot be created by spacewalk-setup. I can create it manually, but then spacewalk-setup tries to create it again causing other problems.

When the database doesn't exist, this is the error I get in /var/log/rhn/install_db.log:
Stopping postgresql service: [  OK  ]
Starting postgresql service: [  OK  ]
createdb: database creation failed: ERROR:  encoding UTF8 does not match locale en_US
DETAIL:  The chosen LC_CTYPE setting requires encoding LATIN1.

I can create the database setting the encoding using 'createdb -E UTF8 --locale=en_US.utf8 -T template0 <schema>' but like I said spacewalk-setup just tries to create it over again if it exists.

How do I either get spacewalk-setup to use the right locale encoding, or else get it to use an existing database?

Thanks in advance.

Cory Waddingham
AT&T SPSS OPS
(214) 310-9215
cw7430 at att.com<mailto:cw7430 at att.com>
[X]     Q me<qto://talk/cw7430>

TEXTING and DRIVING... It Can Wait. Take the pledge<http://www.itcanwait.com> today and pass it on.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of the AT&T companies, are confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipients or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received this message in error, please delete this message immediately from your computer. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.