[Spacewalk-list] Unable to kickstart via spacewalk proxy

Patrick Hurrelmann patrick.hurrelmann at lobster.de
Mon Dec 8 08:12:20 UTC 2014

On 08.12.2014 08:14, Linder, Rolf wrote:
> Dear all
>

> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> We too use spacewalk 2.2 on server and proxy. Right now we’re testing a
> behavior regarding our channel structure…
>

> We use a “special” channel structure as describe here:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/spacewalk-list/2011-August/msg00082.html
>
> That’s why, our base channel does not have any packages assigned.
>

> Since kickstarting without proxy is working great we never thought that
> this maybe an issue for a proxy setup. Anyone else using a proxy with
> this kind of channel structure? Could that be the cause for our issue?
>

> I’ll report back what our test results are with the same server but
> “regular” channel structure (base channel includes packages).
>

> Cheers,
>
> Rolf

Hi all,

I tried to debug this some more and I can confirm the findings of Rolf.
I too use a master channel like centos-6x or centos-7x as parents with
no packages assigned.

Kickstarting using this channels fails with the mentioned "package not
in mapping error". See log at http://ur1.ca/j1pu7

In this scenario the channels are setup the following:
centos6.x-base
 --> centos6.6-x86_64
 --> centos6.6-updates-x86_64

Kickstart tries to download the following rpm:

broker/rhnBroker._initConnectionVariables('set self.rhnParent:
http://proxy.example.com/ks/dist/centos6.6-x86_64/Packages/python-ethtool-0.6-5.el6.x86_64.rpm',)

and tries to fetch locally first (before going up in the chain):
broker/rhnBroker.__local_GET_handler('Retrieve from local repository.',)

and then it tries to cache the rpm using the parent channel:

broker/rhnRepository.getPackagePath('python-ethtool-0.6-5.el6.x86_64.rpm',)
broker/rhnRepository._cacheObj('package_mapping:centos6x-base:',
'20130308120245', ())
broker/rhnRepository._getPkgListDir('/var/spool/rhn-proxy/list',)
broker/rhnRepository.getPackagePath('ERROR', 'Package not in mapping:
python-ethtool-0.6-5.el6.x86_64.rpm')

Imho there is no fallback to the lower channel (which contains rpms).
The same is happening for centos7 kickstarts due to the same channel layout.

For testing I cloned my centos-6.6-x86_64 channel and made it a
standalone top-level channel and kickstarting is working again.

Regards
Patrick

--
Lobster SCM GmbH, Hindenburgstraße 15, D-82343 Pöcking
HRB 178831, Amtsgericht München