[Spacewalk-list] Can not assign SW Channels to clients registered through Proxy

Jon Miller jonebird at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 19:29:10 UTC 2014

amedeo at oscert.net writes:

> Il 03/02/2014 19:11, Jon Miller ha scritto:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Spacewalk proxy server setup and it is mostly working. I can
>> kickstart a machine and register the client through the proxy as
>> well. However, I can not assign any software channels to the registered
>> client machine. I suspect it could be due to the multiple orgs I have setup
>> but am looking for advice.
>>
>> The Proxy was originally setup by registering it with Org 3 on my base
>> Spacewalk (v2.0) server however my current testing is being done with Org
>> 6. The activation key I've setup selects various channels but none are
>> activated. When I navigate to the server and try to alter it's channel
>> subscriptions, my choices are completely empty.
>>
>> Is this expected behavior? Hopefully there is an easy fix.
>>
>> Thank you,
> do you have assigned entitlements on those organizations?
>
> eg
> admin -> organizations -> <name of your organization> -> subscriptions
> -> system entitlements
>
> you should have at least some management (base) entitlements available
> to assign base channel....
>
> but if you already have entitlements available is possible that your
> channel has "organization sharing" set to "This channel is private and
> cannot be accessed by any other organization." or "This channel is
> protected and may only be accessed by specific trusted organizations."
> and obliviously your organization is not trusted :D
>
> so you can change organization sharing by:
>
> channels ->  manage software channels -> <your channel name> and then
> under organization sharing select "This channel is public and may be
> accessed by any of the trusted organizations trusted by this
> organization." -> click Update channel,
>
> so you can make a trust between the two organization under: admin ->
> <name of your organization> -> trusts
>
> hth

Those are good points to check on but they are correctly setup in both
cases. I have near to 2000 entitlements still available and trusts setup
between my orgs & channels. (I do prefer the "protected" mode for
sharing). The base Spacewalk setup works completely fine when I kickstart a
machine against it directly.

While re-checking things, I noticed the base channel was incorrectly set for
my newly built system (though the proxy). Naturally, once I updated the base
channel, the choices for child channels changed appropriately.

Sorry for the noise,
--
Jon Miller