[Spacewalk-list] Satellite 6 / Spacewalk roadmap

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 18:40:20 UTC 2014

I have a little different perspective on this.

right now spacewalk will continue to develop and Red Hat is not the
only ones behind it. SUSE has been doing a lot of development on it
because its also the upstream project for SUSE Manager.

right now you can sync SAM with spacewalk via a sync tool available on
github unfortunately because they were compiled against different java
repos they cant run on the same box. but the version of SAM that
shiped with the latest version of satellite does run on the same box
so it is possible.

the new code base for satellite 6 is great for  medium size businesses
and companies which use the agile development model for production
applications. and candle pin is more reliable than the jabber
implementation which Spacewalk 5 uses.

That said Puppet is a major problem for mission critical environment
and for infrastructures which have precise SLA's.
this was rather short sited aspect of the design of Satellite 6 which
makes it problematic for many large businesses and certain industries.
Puppet unfortunatly was not designed with change windows in mind so
you have to go the great lengths to make it sort of honer them. It
also has scaling issues when you manage over a thousand hosts which
again can be worked around but it takes a lot of effort. many of my
friends in other large companies are quietly replacing puppet with
other tools because it never met with their expectations and eventully
caused them more problems than it fixed. some are going back to CF
engine and others are using some new tools which haven't been around
long enough for me to risk trying them. the funny thing is their
managers still talk about puppet some because the group that managed
it dont want to admit they poured so much effort into a mistake and
other because the senior management turned it into a buzz word and
just keep using it.

Spacewalk still excels in mission critical environments, environments
with SLA's, and environments with strictly enforced change windows.
there are some nice things which would be nice to see like replacing
cobbler with pulp and possibly candle pin integration to replace OSA.
Also the multiorg feature could use some work because in larger
companies you may need a single user to be a member of multiple
organizations. updating the version of the jpackage repo it compiled
against so it can coexist on the same box as SAM would be nice too.

That said don't count it out for revival as a product under a
different name either by Red Hat or by an other company. if the
support contract sales are there they will invest in it. There are
still many useful rather large niches where spacewalk is the better
tool and I don't see that changing any time soon. Think about it
Spacewalk 2.0 with a completely new interface was released long after
the design of Satellite 6 was well known by every one. also this was
if I had to take a guess the one of the big reasons to move the code
to github because it makes it far easier for the community to get more
involved in the development.