[Spacewalk-list] Problem installing RHEL5 on Dell M620

Patrick Laimbock patrick at laimbock.com
Wed Jul 9 09:29:43 UTC 2014

Hi Frank,

On 09-07-14 11:00, Frank Paulick wrote:
> i added the system with "--interface=em1" to cobbler and the
> installation went fine.
> But, in the installed system the network interface once again is eth0.

Did you try adding 'network --device=em1 ...' in your kickstart file?

> Why do i have to add the system to cobbler using em interfaces instead
> of the eth interfaces which are normaly used in RHEL 5 ?

The feature is called 'Consistent Network Device Naming' and you can
read more about it here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming

If you don't want any of the interface name changes then you can boot
with biosdevname=0 and use the old ethX interface names. Optionally
don't install the biosdevname package.

If you want to change an already installed system back to using ethX
then I guess you'll have to boot it with biosdevname=0 then delete
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and fix the filenames in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ (mv ifcfg-emX ifcfg-ethX) and fix the
DEVICE="emX" entry in those ifcfg-emX files. Never tried it so YMMV.

HTH,
Patrick