[Spacewalk-list] OSAD Issues

Snyder, Chris Chris_Snyder at sra.com
Fri Jun 6 12:51:55 UTC 2014

This happens to me A LOT.  Here's the top reasons I found this fails for me:

First and foremost:
                Verify that jabberd + osa-dispatcher are running on the server and are configured to start on boot.
                Verify that osad is running on all the clients and is configured to start on boot.

If NONE of the clients are getting updates:

Check the osa-dispatcher logs on the server, make sure it can authenticate with the Jabber server.  If it can't you need to reset the auto-generated jabber auth:
stop osa-dispatcher + jabber
rm -r /var/lib/jabberd/db/*
restart everything - should work now.

Individual clients are not receiving updates:

Stop osad on the client servers
rm the osad auth file (usually /etc/sysconfig/rhn/osad-auth.conf)
Restart osad.
Wait a few minutes, see if your updates come through.

One last reason some clients are not receiving updates:

                In my shop we do a lot of VM cloning.  When this happens the freshly cloned VMs have the same auth files as the clone source.  We have to make sure that the local osad-auth file on one or both of the VMs involved are removed and osad restarted.  Otherwise, the osa-dispatcher/jabber setup will end up seeing the same credentials from two different sources and will only accept one of them.