[Spacewalk-list] Best way to clone CentOS 6 repos?

Snyder, Chris Chris_Snyder at sra.com
Tue Jun 17 13:18:24 UTC 2014

I need to create a local cache of the upstream CentOS 6 Core and EPEL repositories before syncing them to my Spacewalk instances (this is non-negotiable, I am NOT allowed to have Spacewalk pull directly from the upstream source - the reasons are not relevant here).

What is the proper way to do that these days?  I used to use mrepo to clone the repos and then some third party scripts to pull down the various errata files. But somewhere along the way the upstream repodata files went from file names of 'updateinfo.xml.gz' to some md5 based monstrosity like '
d803a891e5933a77d5b13425dc573100ee5d2c0d0aefc81bddaaab3636c98d71-updateinfo.xml.gz' (did I miss a memo somewhere?) so the third-party scripts don't work anymore and mrepo doesn't seem to clone upstream repodata.   Also, I've got problems with my group files (comps.xml.gz).  In short, it's a mess.

I kinda feel that what I've got now is just wrong, so I figure it's time to stick my head back up and see what other people are doing these days about creating local caches of upstream repos.  I figure I can't be the only one doing this before loading data into Spacewalk. Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I should say my current mrepo working environment is based upon RHEL5.

Thx
Gopher.