[Spacewalk-list] Pointing spacewalk at another database

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 12:49:54 UTC 2014

Butcher, Nathan wrote:
% Hi,
%
% I've got another copy of my local oracle 10g database on another server, and now I want spacewalk to use this other database server (which is an Oracle 11g database)
%
% I have edited /etc/rhn/rhn.conf from
%
% db_backend = oracle
% db_user = spacewalk
% db_password = spacewalk
% db_name = SPACEWLK
% db_host =
% db_port =
%
%
% db_backend = oracle
% db_user = spacewalk
% db_password = spacewalk
% db_name = SPACEWLK
% db_host = new.db.host.com
% db_port = 1521
%
% However, this doesn't work. Spacewalk starts up as normal and uses it's local database as per usual.
% I am clearly missing something. Spacewalk still uses the local database.

Nathan,

Most likely there's defined SPACEWLK service in /etc/tnsnames.ora. So
you have to either a) fix tnsnames.ora definition and let /etc/rhn/rhn.conf
as it was or b) remove tnsnames.ora and specify new db_name, db_host and
db_port in rhn.conf.

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat