[Spacewalk-list] Pointing spacewalk at another database

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Fri Mar 21 09:59:43 UTC 2014

Butcher, Nathan wrote:
% Hi,
%
% The bit about tnsnames.ora helped a lot, but there's another problem.
%
% The new spacewalk database I am attempting to connect to is hosted on an Oracle RAC cluster. I'm not sure if anyone on this list has tried it before, and while it sounds a bit crazy to me anyway, there seems to be problems with doing this with spacewalk. Spacewalk it seems, is only geared around having the database on a single instance, and with a RAC cluster you can have multiple instances (for failover, I gather).
%
% So while I can set spacewalk to look for a single instance (SPACEWALK1 in my case) it will work, and I can use spacewalk with the database residing on Oracle RAC. However it can't seem to be configured for other instances (SPACEWLK2, SPACEWALK3, etc) because spacewalk's reliance on a single SID in the configuration. At least, that's what I understand from what our DBA tells me anyway.
%
% Is there a way to reconfigure spacewalk to connect in such an environment, or is this going to sound like a feature request for a future version of spacewalk?

Hi Nathan,

There's no problem to connect to Oracle RAC. In this case ask your DBA
for RAC database "connect string" which should look like

        SPACEWALK_RAC = (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=
            (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=host1.example.com)(PORT=1521))
            (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=host2.example.com)(PORT=1521))
            (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=host3.example.com)(PORT=1521))
        )(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=SPACEWALK)))

and put this string to /etc/thnsnames.ora. In rhn.conf specify
db_name=SPACEWALK_RAC (no db_host/db_port). The connect string can also contain
LOAD_BALANCE or FAILOVER parameters.

% Thanks.
%
% Nathan