[Spacewalk-list] Relationship between Katello and Spacewalk

J Epperson spacewalk at epperson.homelinux.net
Thu Mar 27 13:16:01 UTC 2014

For what it's worth, the latest two comments from Avi Miller's
"Installing Spacewalk to manage Oracle Linux" article on the Oracle
Linux blog site:

Are there plans to continue releasing Oracle packaged
Spacewalk releases, such as the recent 2.1 branch, or will 2.0 be it?

Posted by GUEST on March 24, 2014 at 03:06 PM PDT # [10]

We are
currently working on ULN integration for Spacewalk and the upcoming
release of Oracle Linux 7. We will be releasing new versions of
Spacewalk in time, after the integration work with ULN is complete. We
have evaluated the 2.1 release and there were no critical bug fixes that
needed immediate release. If you have a particular issue with 2.0,
please log an SR.

Posted by AVI MILLER on March 24, 2014 at 03:18 PM
PDT # [11]

On 2014-03-27 8:22, Snyder, Chris wrote:

> That explains
the future of Red Hat's Satellite, but this doesn't really answer the
question regarding Spacewalk. Katello, et al, is a completely different
beast than Spacewalk as far as I understand. So does that mean that
Spacewalk is going to continue as is, or will it be end of life'd, or
will it be completely re-written to parallel Katello?

> As far as I
can tell, Spacewalk as we know it is a dead end. If RH is going to push
Katello in the future, then there's no reason for them to support
Spacewalk as it currently stands, and they provide a rather large amount
of support for this product. I'm sure the non-RH SW community will
continue support, but will it be worth it? I mean, most companies and
admins will probably jump ship to Katello once RH moves to that
completely, so SW usage will start to drop. I guess SW will have a
purpose as long as RH continues to use/support Satellite 5.x, but once
that's over, I really think Spacewalk will be dead.

> Call me
pessimistic, but I don't see a future for Spacewalk, not if RH is going
to push Katello as the new way forward.

> Anybody care to give a
differing opinion or correct any flaws in my understanding? Please?!

spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com