[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk and Redhat Satellite 6.x

Stephen Herr sherr at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 20:33:31 UTC 2014

On 11/19/2014 07:10 PM, Waldirio Manhães Pinheiro wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Glen Collins <glenc2004 at comcast.net
> <mailto:glenc2004 at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all. I have what maybe a stupid question but I thought I'd ask
>     anyways.
>
>     Since Redhat released Satellite 6.x and includes integration with
>     puppet, git and other stuff, how will this affect Spacewalk. Will
>     Satellite still take some of the features of Spacewalk or is it now
>     a tree that is broken. Just curious how if any this will affect
>     Spacewalk development. Yeah I know, I'm behind the time in news
>     about it but hey, I'm left in a dark room to configure spacewalk so
>     I don't get out much. :-)
>

> Bellow a good comparison between them
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Satellite/6.0/html/Transition_Guide/chap-Comparing_Satellite_5_and_Satellite_6.html
> About roadmap, Satellite 5.x will still until 2019 (roadmap), maybe more
> .. maybe less. :-)
>
> About development, I believe will be the same now, if the users submit
> new request for enhancement, for example, will be analyzed and if is a
> good thing, will be applied. (guys from Red Hat can talk a little bit
> more about it). ;-)

Satellite 6 is not based on Spacewalk at all, so after Satellite 5
end-of-lifes that tree will be completely broken. Satellite 6 is based
on other open source projects like katello and foreman.

That being said I believe that SUSE still plans on supporting / working
on SUSE Manager for the foreseeable future, so I fully expect Spacewalk
and the Spacewalk community to continue growing and gaining new
interesting features even after 2019.

-Stephen