[Spacewalk-list] Package arch ia64 incompatible with channel

Jon Wakelin jw292 at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Nov 28 14:21:38 UTC 2014

We are trying to sync an OpenSuSE repository using spacewalk-repo-sync
(http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/python/SLE_11_SP3/
) .

The repo contains RPMs for different architectures (x86_64, i586, ia64)
but we are only interested in the x86_64 ones. /We have set the
architecture for the channel to x86_64/.  The spacewalk-repo-sync
command fails at the point it comes to link the packages into the
channel with the message:

    "ERROR: Package arch ia64 incompatible with channel
sle11-sp3-python-channel2"

I've traced the code as it runs and see that problem occurs in the file
packageImport.py.

The method __copyChannels( ) in the file packageImport.py is used to
check that a package's architecture is compatible with the channel
architecture.   If the package doesn't match the channel architcture the
__copyChannels methods throws  an IncompatibleArchError and then the
code exits.   So if there are any ia64 or ppc packages in an upstream
repository we can't sync the repository.

Should this be a fatal error?   Should the error be caught and dealt
with more gracefully?  I've added a try/except and this allows the code
to run to completion, but I'm concerned about what else I might affect
by doing this.

Is there something we may have misconfigured?

thanks
Jon