[Spacewalk-list] How to properly setup Solaris Channels

Daryl Rose rosede12 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 16:43:37 UTC 2014

Waldirio,

I understand what you are describing, but I don't think that worked for me.

Here is what I am doing.

I have a Solaris 10 server(s).   Normally, if I need to add a package from
the installation DVD, I either have to put the DVD into the tray, mount it
and install.  Or, I can also NFS mount an Solaris 10 ISO image that I
currently have setup on an NFS server.

I converted all of the installation Solaris packages to mpm format and I
can upload them to the SW server.

I also downloaded the Solaris 10 Recommended Patch Cluster and converted
the patches to mpm format.  I can also upload them to the SW server.

When I initially set up the Solaris channel, I had only setup the patches
channel and registered my server to the that channel. Spacewalk told me
that there were 80 patches needed to bring my registered server up to date.

I then decided that I wanted a base channel of the DVD packages and a child
channel of the patches.  However, when I re-registered my server, SW told
me that the server was up to date, but, it should have told me that there
were 80 updates needed.

Perhaps I did something wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I had it setup the
way you described.   Solaris 10 Base Channel, and a Solaris 10 Patches
child channel.

Thanks

Daryl