[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk and Redhat Satellite 6.x

Waldirio Manhães Pinheiro waldirio at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 00:10:45 UTC 2014

Hello Glen,

Answers bellow

B'Regards

______________
Atenciosamente
Waldirio
msn: waldirio at gmail.com
Skype: waldirio
Site: www.waldirio.com.br
Blog: blog.waldirio.com.br
LinkedIn: http://br.linkedin.com/pub/waldirio-pinheiro/22/b21/646
PGP: www.waldirio.com.br/public.html

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM, Glen Collins <glenc2004 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi all. I have what maybe a stupid question but I thought I'd ask anyways.
>
> Since Redhat released Satellite 6.x and includes integration with puppet,
> git and other stuff, how will this affect Spacewalk. Will Satellite still
> take some of the features of Spacewalk or is it now a tree that is broken.
> Just curious how if any this will affect Spacewalk development. Yeah I
> know, I'm behind the time in news about it but hey, I'm left in a dark room
> to configure spacewalk so I don't get out much. :-)

Bellow a good comparison between them

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Satellite/6.0/html/Transition_Guide/chap-Comparing_Satellite_5_and_Satellite_6.html

About roadmap, Satellite 5.x will still until 2019 (roadmap), maybe more ..
maybe less. :-)

About development, I believe will be the same now, if the users submit new
request for enhancement, for example, will be analyzed and if is a good
thing, will be applied. (guys from Red Hat can talk a little bit more about
it). ;-)

> Also too, this also maybe stupid. Does anyone know if the official
> Satellite server supports use of the spacewalk clients? I think I pretty
> much know the answer but I thought I'd ask because we do have a license for
> Satellite and wanted to use it but since we also have Oracle Linux, well
> that made the decision for me. Wish the two companies would play together
> again. :-(

This is a good question. When talking about RHN Satellite or Red Hat
products, we talk about subscription and to you sign your client in RHN
Satellite, you need a entitlement named Smart Management, so imagine, you
have 10 RHEL and 100 OL, you need buy more 100 subscription of Smart
Management to add your OL in RHN Satellite. In SW you certificate have by
default 2000 or 20000 subscriptions available.

Another good point is, if you are using SW to manager RHEL, you have to
create repo, channel, import erratas, etc, using RHN Satellite, Red Hat do
it for you, you need just execute a command satellite-sync -c <channel that
you need> and enjoy. :-), so you hard work will be only with another OS,
but easy for you, create repo, channel, and use normally as in nowadays.

About support, if you need support to you RHEL, you can open a ticket
support and will be supported without problem, if you need support with OL,
CentOS or another OS, forget, will not! :-)

So to conclude, if you have valid subscription and you have RHEL in your
environment, enjoy this opportunity and use, add your OL, CentOS or another
and add the respective repos/channels. Pay attention only in your SM (Smart
Management) entitlement.

Let me know if you have another question about it.

B'Regards