[Spacewalk-list] Schedule Reboot (Spacewalk 2.2 bug?)

Matthew Madey mattmadey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 00:17:34 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I've recently upgraded one of our Spacewalk environments from 2.0 to 2.2,
following the instructions found here:
https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToUpgrade
I first upgraded to 2.1, rebooted all systems (Spacewalk core, database
server, and proxies), then upgraded to 2.2, rebooted all systems (Spacewalk
core, database server, and proxies). The Spacewalk Server AND Spacewalk
Proxies were upgraded to v2.2

Everything appeared to be working just fine, until I noticed a strange
issue with Scheduling reboots.

When I schedule a system reboot, the client picks up the action immediately
(using OSAD), and schedules the reboot appropriately for 3 minutes in the
future. The system successfully reboots, however, that reboot action is
NEVER marked as complete in Spacewalk. So, any subsequent actions do not
get picked up unless an rhn_check is manually done on the system. After
that, the reboot action is marked completed and all subsequent actions are
picked up normally. Also, after the system reboots, if I go to the schedule
tab and cancel that reboot action, all subsequent actions are picked up
without issue. I've tested this with the same results in QA at work (RHEL
6.5 clients), as well as in my home lab (CentOS 6.5 clients). Has anyone
else noticed this issue? I'd like to see if I'm missing something before
filing a bug report..

Steps I've taken already:

1. Set verbosity to level 5 on osad.conf for the client. Everything looks
fine in the logs until after the reboot, when the server starts and the
OSAD service starts, it's not checking in with Spacewalk even though OSA
status says online.

2. Stop OSAD, remove /etc/sysconfig/rhn/osad-auth.conf, start OSAD. Same
results. Reboot action is picked up immediately, and the system reboots
successfully, but the action is never marked Completed.

3. Stopped jabberd on the Spacewalk proxy the client is connected to,
cleared jabberd database, and restarted jabberd. I've done the same on the
Spacewalk server, and tried them in different orders as well.

4. Manually running a shutdown -r now on the client. THIS WORKS. When the
system comes back up, any queued actions are picked up and executed
successfully. This is one of the main reasons it leads me to believe there
is an issue with the Schedule reboot API in Spacewalk v2.2 (BTW, I've tried
the API via Python script, as well as through the WebUI, same results where
the action is never marked Completed).

5. Verified the client is running the latest versions of osad, rhnsd,
rhn-client-tools, rhn-setup, and rhn-check from the 2.2 repo

6. Registered the client to a Spacewalk 2.0 environment. Everything works
as it should there. No issues.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We rely very heavily on the Spacewalk API's as all of our patching is
completely automated in Python scripts. It's not a big deal to schedule a
remote action to run the shutdown -r command on the clients instead, but if
this is a bug I'd like to see it get fixed.