[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk CPU lack / Scaling

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 09:35:35 UTC 2014

Nahelou Sébastien wrote:
% Hi Spacewalk lovers

Hello Sebastian,

% Since we upgrade from 2.0 to 2.2, we encounter a capacity problem due to CPU usage overall.
% When users load a system page in the GUI, the tomcat process grow to 90% usage. Api and GUI become unavailable or very slow.

Are you able to identify which page causes such high load?

% Our architecture is as following:
% 5 rhn proxies
% LVS Master/slave mode
% 1 front master: SERVICES="jabberd $TOMCAT httpd osa-dispatcher Monitoring MonitoringScout rhn-search cobblerd taskomatic"
% 1 front slave: SERVICES="jabberd $TOMCAT httpd osa-dispatcher Monitoring MonitoringScout "
% 1 cluster PGSQL
%
% Our masters have 2* Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2609 / 92 RAM / raid 1 using CentOS 6.5.
%
% We have about 6000 systems registered,  about 40 organizations and more than 600 channels (including cloned)
%
% My questions are:
% - Is it possible to scale spacewalk horizontally ? By changing lvs configuration to Active/Active ? By using HAProxy ? other ?

We've never tested Active/Active cluster. I dare to say it won't work.
Our recomendation is to use one Spacewalk Proxy for every 5000 systems.

% - Is it possible to tune tomcat better than adding memory ? (we use actually -Xms8196m -Xmx16384m)

I don't know. Frankly I've never heard a report about necessity to do so.

% - What is the maximum number of systems that we can register in 1 organisation ? (Actually our max seems to be 1700)

We know about installations with tens to hundereds of thousands systems.

% - Is there a maximum number of systems that we can register in a Spacewalk cluster ?

No, it's limmited only by numbers in your spacewalk certificate.
Default certificate is limited to 20000. If you need more you can
generate your own.

% Thank in advance
%
% Sébastien NAHELOU