[Spacewalk-list] best practice for node subscription to latest channels (controlled patching)

Reneau, Wes W [HDS] Wes.Reneau at hdsupply.com
Tue Oct 28 15:36:18 UTC 2014

All,

I'm learning this tool and reading articles, watching videos and understand the basics regarding channels, repo and activation keys.  Where I struggle is creating a channel that includes everything the node will need, namely base and patch.  The problem I've not solved yet is how do I allow nodes access to the latest channels w/o risking a version upgrade from 6.x to 6.y?

In theory I think I should allow my latest channels to sync nightly so as to stay updated in the event we needed to deploy something immediately.  However, I do not subscribe my nodes to the latest channel.  My idea is that I'll clone the latest repo per quarter and make that available to the nodes.  I see this as a problem b/c I'll have to edit each channel each quarter.  Is there a best practice to prevent manual intervention?  Have I missed the mark entirely?

Spacewalk 2.0

Thanks
Wes