[Spacewalk-list] best practice for node subscription to latest channels (controlled patching)

Waldirio Manhães Pinheiro waldirio at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 16:11:50 UTC 2014

Hello Friends

A good practice is you create a env like bellow:

Base Software Channel - This channel will receive update all days for
example
  |--- Child Channel  - This channel will receive update all days for
example

Cloned Channel - This channel the admin will control the version of packages
  |--- Child Channel  - This channel the admin will control the version of
packages

So here you can create cloned channels like

prod-centos-6.5_x86-64
  |-- epel-6-X86-64

homolog-centos-6.5_x86-64
  |-- epel-6-X86-64

desv-centos-6.5_x86-64
  |-- epel-6-X86-64

Basically is this, put all with automatically update is no recommended,
because in fact what you need is, test your server with a new package
version to check if the system will work fine or not., after the "approve"
of your IT team, you can apply the updates in your prod servers.

Take a note, you can add in your prod. channel the diff between prod and
desv or prod and homolog for example.

Please friend, add your suggests and ideas!

B'Regards

Atenciosamente
Waldirio
msn: waldirio at gmail.com