[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk 2.2 Osad - action-deploy - strangenesses?

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at onpointfc.com
Wed Sep 3 19:32:48 UTC 2014

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 09:41:56 +0200, Jonathan Hoser wrote
> Dear all,
>
> once again I'm puzzled and would like to fish for input:
>
> After having (successfully) upgraded to 2.2, (client 2.2 also deployed
> everywhere),
> I have the puzzling situation with OSAD, that the clients connect,
> and respond to pings (the usual way to test OSAD),
> but is not send any action (package deploys/config compares/conf
> deploys) - or doesn't see any.
>
> So far I have tried:
> -clearing the jabber-db
> -restarting client-side OSAD (very-verbose)
> -clearing all pending actions
>
> What I can tell:
> I see the ping-request, and the clients answer,
> and the webgui updates accordingly.
> But the client never sees (or gets) any of the scheduled actions (even
> when running rhn_check manually).
>
> The latter might be a second issue, or might be tightly connected to the
> first,
> as a yum update does the trick - as far as package-deploys/-updates go.
>
> I'm was slightly reminded of Daniel Thielkings issue from a few weeks
> ago where a command
> wouldn't be picked up, but I haven't seen a solution to that yet...
>
> Any hints, comments, suggestions or solutions are highly appreciated.
>
> Best
> -Jonathan
>
> --
> Jonathan Hoser, M.Sc.
> Institute of Bioinformatics and System Biology
>
> WWW: http://mips.helmholtz-muenchen.de
>
> Helmholtz Zentrum München
> Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
> Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
> 85764 Neuherberg
> www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
> Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess, Dr. Nikolaus Blum, Dr. Alfons Enhsen
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht München HRB 6466
> USt-IdNr: DE 129521671

Jonathan,

I don't know if my fix is necessarily right for you because of how the problem was
probably created, but I'll share it with you anyway.  I, too, had upgraded to version
2.2, and client actions would queue, but never complete.

First, some background into my situation.  I had run out of disk space on my Spacewalk
server (yes, poor planning, but I had no idea in advance of how much space I'd need.
There, I copped out :-)  ).  I should simply have used Gparted to add disk space, and I
might have been all set.  Anyway, I blew away all of my repos first.  Then, I
re-initialized the Spacewalk server.  Then, I rebuilt the repos.  All this was a real
pita, but the silver lining was that I re-trained myself.  So far, so good.  But now, my
clients weren't responding to actions, as I had mentioned.  I posted my problem to the
list, and got a couple of nice responses from Matt (hey, Matt).  I first tried clearing
the jabberdb, as he suggested.  No joy.  I also looked at
/var/log/rhn/osa_dispatcher.log on my Spacewalk server.  I suspected it had something to
do with SSL, but that was just a guess.  Having nowhere else to go, I ran the following
command on the Spacewalk server:

/usr/bin/rhn-ssl-tool --gen-ca --set-country="US"  --set-state="MA" --set-city="Anytown"
--set-org="My Corporation" --set-org-unit="spacewalk.mycompany.com"
--set-common-name="spacewalk.mycompany.com" --set-email="administrator at mycompany.com"
--force

as I may have screwed up the cert when I first re-initialized the Spacewalk server.
Then, I DL'd the cert to, and re-registered, the clients.  It worked!  I could update
packages, run remote commands, etc.  I could see rhn_check running on the clients via
top, where I couldn't previously.

Well, I was almost good - one client still wouldn't work.  Matt had, in the meantime,
posted a second response, suggesting to stop osad, "rm
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/osad-auth.conf", and restart osad, on the client.  That also worked,
and I'm back to all-good.  Maybe doing this first might work in your case.

Hope my long-windedness is worth something to you.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.