[Spacewalk-list] Trigger script on spacewalk on activation

Timothy Rees reestr.uk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 08:50:14 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm trying to limit the need to invoke
anything from the deployed client.  This is because:

1. It would save putting in security mechanisms to ensure only the
registered client make the call to Spacewalk
2. It would prevent issues where Spacewalk connectivity could be via a
proxy with no direct connection back to Spacewalk server
(NAT/firewalling etc).

So far, the best solution I have come up with is to create a temporary
group for deployed servers on Spacewalk server for each activation
key, and then add then join the systems to that group when they
activate.  Then I just just create a cron entry on the spacewalk
server to probe member of the group for new clients every minute.
Once a new client is found to run a number of required scripts (post
validation tests etc) and then to remove the client from that group.

It would be nice to be able to trigger such things instead though -
this would remove the need for cron and unnecessary load, if there is
a need for this and it is not present then perhaps I can put in a
feature request?

Cheers,
Tim