[Spacewalk-list] Auto Customization of Registration Data Upon Registration

Avi Miller avi.miller at oracle.com
Thu Sep 25 16:00:44 UTC 2014

Hey Glen,

On 23 Sep 2014, at 11:39 am, Glen Collins <glenc2004 at comcast.net> wrote:

> We run both Oracle and RHEL and both show up an "redhat-release-server" and I would like to change that so when I register an Oracle system it'll be more appropriate.

We retain the redhat-release package in Oracle Linux so that 3rd-party applications that check to see if it’s installed still work. We also provide oraclelinux-release so that there is both /etc/redhat-release and /etc/oracle-release on a box.

Usually, you can change /etc/yum.conf and add distroverpkg=oraclelinux-release to get it to pull info from a different RPM, but that doesn’t seem to change the Spacewalk registration behaviour. I’d be interested to know where/how Spacewalk pulls this information so that we can tune it to tell the difference between RHEL and OL (and CentOS and SL too, I imagine).

Cheers,
Avi

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Avi Miller | Product Management Director | +61 (3) 8616 3496