[Spacewalk-list] Deploy a root password change

Steve Meier email at steve-meier.de
Tue Aug 25 20:50:30 UTC 2015

Hello,

using sed on your /etc/shadow is a very harsh way to do it. On Red Hat
the passwd command supports the --stdin parameter which is much cleaner

echo supersecret | passwd --stdin root

Run this as a remote action and you are good.

Alternatively, you can create a dummy RPM where this is a %post action
and deploy this RPM. This should work as well and the version of that
dummy RPM will actually give you a hint on which of your rotated
passwords
it is.

Kind regards,
   Steve