[Spacewalk-list] Check "task queue" for client on server within database?

Robert Paschedag robert.paschedag at web.de
Tue Dec 8 20:41:40 UTC 2015

So... finally... after long digging... I found my error.

Situation:

Nearly all clients stopped picking up tasks from spacewalk at the same time.

Problem was an error within the database because of a suddenly read only filesystem. All problematic clients had an "open" task, that was in status "picked up", but the client had nothing to return anymore.

And all the "new" tasks had not been picked up, because within the handler "queue.get", the handler returns without doing anything if there is still an "open" task for the client.

So the solution was to change the status of the "open" task within the database.

I put all tasks to "fail" (status code 3) with

"update rhnServerActions set status = 3, completed_time = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP where status = 1;"

Database is PostgreSQL

After that, all clients picked up the "remaining" tasks and the server nearly broke down ;-)

Regards
Robert