[Spacewalk-list] Clone channel management for monthly patching

Matthew Madey mattmadey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 21:41:56 UTC 2015

You can accomplish this via the spacewalk-clone-by-date command. I do a
similar thing for monthly patching, but I clone all the erratas up to a
specific date into my patching channel. For what you are trying to do, I
would have your CentOS 6 Updates channel updated daily, and use
spacewalk-clone-by-date to create the new channels. You can specify a date
range

-d YYYY-MM-DD, --to_date=YYYY-MM-DD
              All errata on or before the specified date will be cloned if
it does not already exist in the destination channel(s). If this option is
omitted no errata will be cloned.

However, I'd recommend that you don't create new channels for each month
unless you have a very specific reason to do so.. because as you mentioned,
you'll have to subscribe systems to the new channels every time you want to
patch. This makes channel management harder than it needs to be.

For every channel, the model I use is this:

Baseline channel - Updated daily, no systems subscribed.

Datacenter channel - Refreshed once a month using spacewalk-clone-by-date,
all datacenter systems subscribed.

To automate this, I use a channel mapping configuration file, which lays
out the source and destination channels

Example:

       "channels":
        {
                "rhel-x86_64-server-6-base":
"rhel-x86_64-server-6-datacenter",
                "rhel-x86_64-server-6-base-common":
"rhel-x86_64-server-6-datacenter-common",
                "rhel-x86_64-server-6-base-epel":
"rhel-x86_64-server-6-datacenter-epel",
         }