[Spacewalk-list] Clone channel management for monthly patching

Nick Tailor HTailor at BCLC.com
Tue Jan 6 23:26:33 UTC 2015

When you clone a channel it will have the previous errata, however spacewalk/satellite will be able to detect which errata has been applied.

So only the errata that has not been applied will show up needing to be applied from the new cloned channel ☺

Cheers

Nick Tailor
Nicktailor.com

From: spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Sam Sen
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2015 1:06 PM
To: spacewalk-list at redhat.com
Subject: [Spacewalk-list] Clone channel management for monthly patching

I know there isn’t a perfect way to handle this but here’s what I’m trying to accomplish.

I would like to freeze a channel each month in order to patch our group of hosts. I have a parent channel, let’s call it “CentOS 6 Updates.” At the end of each month, I would like to clone this channel and call the new channel “CentOS 6 2015-Jan.” At the start of this, it should be pretty easy. However, how do I go about creating the February channel? If I clone from the original channel “CentOS 6 Updates,” wouldn’t it also have erratas for Jan? I don’t want the January erratas because they should’ve been applied earlier.

Also, I suppose I’ll need to script this along with the part of modifying the channel association for my machines to point to “CentOS 6 2015-Feb” after each new clone channel is created.

This email is intended only for the addressee. It may contain confidential or proprietary information that cannot be disclosed without BCLC's permission. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the email.