[Spacewalk-list] Question regarding SLES & RHEL clients registered to Spacewalk

Jason Calafiore jason.calafiore at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 21:35:07 UTC 2015

Hi All,
 As I am testing spacewalk in our environment which includes SLES and RHEL,
I came to some questions regarding the risks we face with regard to support
which I hope the community could assist me with.

1. Does anyone currently use Spacewalk to manage SLES or RHEL servers in
their environment. Have you encountered any issues where it invalidated
your support?

2. According to SuSE/Novell Support they mentioned to me that Spacewalk is
not a supported tool to download & manage packages, so essentially it would
invalidate the support. This would be true even if i used SMT to download
the package and push them into Spacewalk. On the other hand they would try
to still provide support, but if in the case that we install 3rd party
RPM's that is the cause of issue, they would not be able to support the
system. Does anyone know what specific packages & dependencies would be
installed or modified?

3. I only see steps to register OpenSuSE clients and not SLES on this page
https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/RegisteringClients Are there steps
for SLES?

4. Is there a way to register a SLES server to Spacewalk without getting
packages from openSuSE?

Thank you,
Jason