[Spacewalk-list] Configuration Channels

Jens Neu jens.neu at biotronik.com
Mon Mar 23 12:24:07 UTC 2015

> 1.       Can rules be configured for automatic subscription to
> configuration channels? E.g. if the server is in subnet X then
> subscribe to channel Y

You can assign config channels to activation keys; use the desired key for
subnet X and you're flying.

> 2.       Can configuration files be automatically deployed?

On subscription/registration yes, there's a function doing this. Just make
sure you enable config file management during deployment/kickstart (touch
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/allowed-actions/all)
Changes can be pushed to the clients via workaround; just deploy a cron
schedule with "rhncfg-client get" upon registration. Works fine, biggest
drawback: you can not delete files (ensure => absent does not work)

> 3.       Can arbitrary commands be run when configuration files are
> deployed?

Hard. You can send scripts to hosts upon actions via GUI. Limitations are
huge, as variable to host binding is very limited (hiera, smartclass
parameters, inheritance, etc... there's not enough comparable tools).

I could do this with Puppet via the notify metaparameter,
> but as a business we are just not ready for Puppet

Know your feels. Migrate to katello/Satellite 6 and sell the move as
"without alternatives"

-Jens