[Spacewalk-list] Proxy Server /cobbler_api Requests Timing Out

Jon Miller jonebird at gmail.com
Thu May 14 03:56:34 UTC 2015

I am having a problem with cobbler requests via my proxy server. Machines
that use the proxy server can successfully proxy requests through for
channel / package information just fine. The problem seems isolated to only
/cobbler_api URL requests.

I've been testing via a simple "koan -D" command and then trying to trace
the multiple steps is must take through the proxy, down to my main
spacewalk server and back again.

I can see the request making its way to the cobblerd process on my main
spacewalk server. I performed an strace on it and see it receiving a http
request on port 25151, it then very quickly responds by writing the
requests data on the socket and then returns to polling for new
requests. Meanwhile my DMZ client is waiting for a response and eventually
koan times out and throws an exception.

I have ruled out any firewall issues since other mod_proxy configured URLs
work fine such as the /cobbler URL. Seems the main difference, in terms of
what happens on the main spacewalk server, is that only the /cobbler_api
requests are then mod_proxy'ed again to the cobblerd process.

The final kicker is that the same request from a machine going directly to
my main spacewalk server has no problem making a call to any /cobbler_api
URLs. Seems my problem is somewhere in the return path of the query:
Perhaps step #5 in my diagram.

    Spacewalk Proxy
  +--------------------+
  |                    |       1.