[Spacewalk-list] Upgrade current Fedora 20 to Fedora 21 or 22

Kevin Abbey kevin.abbey at rutgers.edu
Mon Sep 21 20:17:58 UTC 2015

Hi Bill,

I've done a few in the past few weeks.  Note that yum is no longer used
in fc22 so I use the spacewalk-client-nighlty repo and install the only
repo with fc22 extensions.  It is not yet known if there will be
issues.  I did post an email to this list but have received no feedback
yet.  I pasted my email below your's in this message.

http://spacewalk.redhat.com/yum/nightly-client/Fedora/22/x86_64/

An alternative to the method below it may be possible to register your
client to an f22 repo and attempt a yum update.  I didn't have time to
test this and proceeded with the fedora recommended upgrade path using
fedup and standard, non-spacewalk repo.

My process is the following:

disable spacewalk repo
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/rhnplugin.conf
[main]
enabled = 0

When spacewalk is in use I moved all repo files to a directory called:

/etc/yum.repos.d/off-spacewalk

adobe-linux-i386.repo    fedora-updates-testing.repo
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo spacewalk-client-nightly.repo
adobe-linux-x86_64.repo  google-chrome.repo
rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide.repo          spacewalk-client.repo
dropbox.repo             rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo rpmfusion-nonfree.repo
fedora.repo              rpmfusion-free.repo rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo
fedora-updates.repo      rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing.repo

(cp or mv, I prefer to cp and keep a prior version if edits are made.)

cp /etc/yum.repos.d/off-spacewalk/* /etc/yum.repos.d/

yum update
yum clean all
reboot
yum update   (to confirm that all updates are complete)
uname -a
rpm -qa | grep kernel       (verify that the most recent kernel is booted.)
yum remove *-(old-kernel-numbers)*   (only retain most recent two is my
preference)

du -hs /
du -hs /var/cache/yum/x86_64/*
yum clean all
rm -fr /var/cache/yum/x86_64/*
df -h
  ( I have a separate /var partition which is limited to ~15GB.  The yum
cache seems to keep a copy of all packages.  The fedup needs sufficient
disk space to download all of the updates prior to reboot. )

fedup --network 22
or
fedup --network 22 --product=nonproduct (workstation, server, cloud)  if
upgrading from fc20

#  check the output for errors, verify that all needed repos are being
found.
#  Try to resolve any issues prior to reboot.  If possible connect the
computer to UPS prior to reboot/fedup upgrade.

# After reboot and a successful upgrade, enable the
spacewalk-client-nightly repo
# from spacewalk official repo, not yet your own spacewalk:

dnf repository-packages spacewalk-client-nightly install space* rhncfg*
rhnsd rhnlib* o* d* rhn-c* rhn-s* --allowerasing

# the d* is only this package in the repo:
dnf-plugin-spacewalk-2.4.15-1.fc22.noarch
# I'm running spacewalk 2.3 server.

Package    Summary    Content Provider
dnf-plugin-spacewalk-2.4.15-1.fc22.noarch    DNF plugin for Spacewalk
Unknown
osa-common-5.11.62-1.fc22.noarch    OSA common files Unknown
osad-5.11.62-1.fc22.noarch    Open Source Architecture Daemon    Unknown
rhncfg-5.10.85-1.fc22.noarch    Spacewalk Configuration Client
Libraries    Unknown
rhncfg-actions-5.10.85-1.fc22.noarch    Spacewalk Configuration Client
Actions    Unknown
rhncfg-client-5.10.85-1.fc22.noarch    Spacewalk Configuration Client
Unknown
rhncfg-management-5.10.85-1.fc22.noarch    Spacewalk Configuration
Management Client    Unknown
rhn-check-2.4.9-1.fc22.noarch    Check for RHN actions Unknown
rhn-client-tools-2.4.9-1.fc22.noarch    Support programs and libraries
for Red Hat Satellite or Spacewalk    Unknown
rhn-custom-info-5.4.28-1.fc22.noarch    Set and list custom values for
RHN-enabled machines    Unknown
rhnlib-2.5.76-1.fc22.noarch    Python libraries for the Spacewalk
project    Unknown
rhnsd-5.0.17-1.fc22.x86_64    Spacewalk query daemon Unknown
rhn-setup-2.4.9-1.fc22.noarch    Configure and register an RHN/Spacewalk
client    Unknown
rhn-setup-gnome-2.4.9-1.fc22.noarch    A GUI interface for RHN/Spacewalk
Registration    Unknown
# rhn-virtualization-common-5.4.55-1.fc22.noarch    Files needed by
rhn-virtualization-host    Unknown
# rhn-virtualization-host-5.4.55-1.fc22.noarch RHN/Spacewalk
Virtualization support specific to the Host system    Unknown
spacewalk-abrt-2.1.4-1.fc22.noarch    ABRT plug-in for rhn-check    Unknown
spacewalk-backend-libs-2.4.21-1.fc22.noarch    Spacewalk server and
client tools libraries    Unknown
spacewalk-certs-tools-2.4.6-1.fc22.noarch    Spacewalk SSL Key/Cert
Tool    Unknown
spacewalk-client-cert-2.3.2-1.fc22.noarch    Package allowing
manipulation with Spacewalk client certificates Unknown
spacewalk-client-repo-2.4-3.fc22.noarch    Spacewalk client packages yum
repository configuration    Unknown
spacewalk-koan-2.4.2-1.fc22.noarch    Support package for spacewalk koan
interaction    Unknown
spacewalk-oscap-2.4.1-1.fc22.noarch    OpenSCAP plug-in for rhn-check
Unknown

edit the dnf plugin for spacewalk.

------------------------------------

/etc/dnf/plugins/spacewalk.conf
[main]
enabled = 1
gpgcheck = 1
timeout = 120

# You can specify options per channel, e.g.:
#
[spacewalk-nightly-client-fedora22-x86_64]
gpgcheck = 0

# optional

rhn-actions-control --enable-all

( mv new/updated *.repo files to unseen dir to start using your own
spacewalk again.)

mv /etc/yum.repos.d/* /etc/yum.repos.d/off-spacewalk/

-----------------------------------

dnf repolist
dnf update

# check for any inconsistencies

dnf distro-sync

On 9/21/2015 12:00 PM, spacewalk-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 09:39:44 -0600
> From: Bill Kuhn<bkuhn at cortez.k12.co.us>
> To:spacewalk-list at redhat.com
> Subject: [Spacewalk-list] Upgrade current Fedora 20 to Fedora 21 or 22
>
> Is there a way to upgrade managed Fedora systems from one major
> release to the other via Spacewalk?
>
> I tried searching but all I keep finding are ways to update/upgrade
> spacewalk itself.
>
> Bill

Message: 1