[Spacewalk-list] Parent/Child channels and software availability?

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 01:17:30 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've got a strange error that I think someone mentioned here recently but I
can't see it in a google search just now.

I create a Parent channel, and associate it with a repository, then add
child channels and associate them with their appropriate repositories.

I create the Activation key, associate it with the Parent Channel, create
the kickstart profile associated with the channel etc etc.

When I boot, I get the error :

You have requested that the package 'x' should be installed. This package
does not exist. Would you like to ignore this package and continue with the
installation?'

(in this case x= hwloc-devel, but I think that's irrelevant' - if I answer
yes, it just asks for every package)

When I search the Parent Channel for the software in question, it is
definitely in there. (see attachment)

This is annoying and stops my installation.

Interestingly, if I create a Child Channel, called centos_7_base, which is
the base install (ie, exactly the same as the Parent - associated with the
same repo!), then the installation works fine. For some reason, the ks
profile can see the packages in the child channels but isn't seeing any in
the parent channel.

Am I wrongly envisioning what the Parent Channel is? Should the parent not
have a repo/set of packages?

How might I trouble shoot this - where are the logs, which commands are
failing?

If I disassociate the Parent Channel with any repos, will this cause any
issues?

Cheers
L.

------
The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this
way."

- Grace Hopper