[Spacewalk-list] Few Questions before deploying SpaceWalk to Prod

Sean Johnson sean at ttys0.net
Mon Apr 25 22:11:45 UTC 2016

> I was planning to Clone CentOS 6 "Updates & EPEL repo and skip Base
> repo. Will those 2 be good enough for basic system packages  ?

You need the Base channel. The Updates channel only has updates. So, any
package that hasn't been updated will expect to be pulled from the Base
channel instead of the Updates channel. Also, when a new point release
comes out, that's when the Base channel gets updated.

Personally I stay far away from putting EPEL directly into a production
environment. If EPEL packages are needed, I put them into a custom
channel, and deploy them that way. Depending on your tolerance for
breakage, your results may vary.

> We have different minor version distinction in distributions. Like
> CentOS 6.5, CentOS 6.7, are there any considerations that needs to be
> taken
> ?

Just that the upstream Base channel gets updated when a new point
release comes out. So, if you want to maintain your own CentOS 6.5 Base
channel, for instance, be sure to keep that clone around. The same goes
with the Updates channel. You'll want to clone the Updates channel to
match up with the version of the Base channel.

> Is HA important ?

That completely depends on your needs. I don't think Spacewalk can
function as an HA service without some serious kludges. If availability
is important, you might want to stand up one or more Spacewalk Proxy
systems, and point your systems to those instead of directly at the
Spacewalk server. That way if the Spacewalk server is offline for a
while, anything cached by the Spacewalk Proxy will still be available to
clients.