[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk 2.5 is broken for Fedora

Luzemário Dantas luzemario at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 20:26:47 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

After dozen of unsucessful tries to deploy Fedora 22-23 within Spacewalk
2.5, I will leave. Initially I guessed it was my mistake, but I could
sucessfully deploy and manage almost all supported CentOS/RedHat/Oracle
versions and some old Fedora releases in my tests. Kickstartable trees
created by spacewalk-repo-sync for the latest Fedora versions did not
have the needed files, making broken distro-trees. Adding the files
manually leads to an absent file, another absent file... until Anaconda
aborts claiming about @core packages being not found. It appears to be
the installer generation script "Fedora" is outdated in Spacewalk.

The documentation of Spacewalk is poor. The wiki is outdated, sometimes
incomplete and referring to old versions of spacewalk, specially the
"HowToKickstartCobbler" section. It seems that there are few people
using the combination Spacewalk 2.5 / Fedora 22-23, so I could not find
someone to give me any light.

Unfortunately I need to deploy Fedora desktops instead of servers, so I
decided to use another solution. Spacewalk is a good solution for the
platforms working with it, so I can let another try in the future.

Thank you all for your time.

Luzemário