[Spacewalk-list] Complex and depending system updates

Maxime VEROONE maxime.veroone at nordnet.fr
Mon Feb 29 08:58:43 UTC 2016

As we do here, I suggest an automaton script using API calls to list systems
and their properties, direct commands through SSH, VMware API calls and
remote commands.

Problem with remote commands is that they are asynchronous, so if your osad
is broken or lags, your chain of events become unordered.

The only solution is to make an unique remote command with :
1) stop services through a default script whose name is shared by all
systems
2) yum update
3) reboot

Your problem is that you need to execute a script after boot. The only
solution - for me- is to create an init script/systemd service that will be
triggered after reboot like any service startup script and will disable
himself at the end of its code. (that's a bit hackish but it works)

Other solutions implies automation softwares like puppet for example.

Regards,
Maxime Veroone.