[Spacewalk-list] Package collision questions

Thomas Mueller thomas at chaschperli.ch
Fri Jan 22 17:50:26 UTC 2016

Am 22.01.2016 um 18:25 schrieb Kalchik, Jeffery:

> A package may exist in multiple channels in a tree, downloaded from
> separate repositories.  This can cause problems during a kickstart,
> when a package with a different checksum gets sent down to anaconda.
> To make things worse, the kickstart problem does not always occur.   I
> also suspect that it could be an issue in spacecmd, as commands like
> ‘package_remove PKG’ don’t allow me to specify which package to
> remove.  Yes, ‘softwarechannel_removepackage PKG’ helps, I do limit
> each channel to a single repository, there shouldn’t be any collisions
> within a given channel.

> Is this an issue for anyone else?  How have you addressed this?

We've seen the problem for packages without the distro-version suffix
in the release field (el5,el6,el7,...). Self built packages built on el7
weren't installable on el6. A RPM uploaded with an already existing
filename would override any existing content. Workaround was to add the
distro suffix. but in your case i cant think of an easy workaround.

It seems to me like the filename was used to generate a hash to save the
rpm content - instead of the hash of the content itself (just guessing).
Haven't dived into it further because the distro workaround was enough
for me.

- Thomas